07 November 2007

Reading: Shaman's Crossing by Robin Hobb

In the middle of Shaman's Crossing by Robin Hobb. It's nothing like the three other trilogies of hers (writing as Robin Hobb). I'm not sure I'm liking it, but I'm not the sort to put down a book I've started.

It's too victorian/steampunk/colonialism/let's convert the magical natives to failing monarchical theism woo. Oh, and its "Good God" is really irritating. It sounds like a lot more fun to be an unwashed native romping around and not cutting down trees. Oh god, the TREES. It's getting a bit heavy handed.

Maybe it'll get better. I was a little leery of the second trilogy of hers (the Liveship Traders) but got into all the swashbuckling once I figured it out.

We'll see how it goes.

Info
Title: Shaman's Crossing (Book One of the Soldier Son Trilogy)
Author: Robin Hobb
Publisher: EOS Fantasy / Harper Collins
Publish Date: 2005
ISBN: 0-06-075828-8
Type of Book: Fantasy
Date Started: Middle October 2007
Date Finished: TBD
Acquired from: Border's
Purchase price: $7.99
Rating (out of 5): So far **

No comments:

Post a Comment